Magnetic levitation transport technology as an innovative step of railway (wheeled) transport development
On January 27th, 2017 during regular meeting of Joint Scientific Council of JSC “RZD” the discussion was held concerning strategic prospects and scientific tasks of Russia’s railway system development with the use of magnetic levitation technologies.
The meeting resulted in taking a number of decisions reflected in the protocol of the meeting:
- Today, the task is to determine parameters and vectors of development of prospective transport system, created by means of new technologies, under the aegis of the Ministry of Transport of Russia.
- It is necessary to underline the importance of establishment of the Scientific and Engineering Cluster “Russian Maglev” in PGUPS.
- It is relevant to address the initiative towards the Ministry of Transport of Russia with the aim of extending the Strategy of Transport Development up to 2030 by adding a chapter determining the status of maglev technology as an innovative step of railway (wheeled) transport, responding to challenges of modern transport systems development.
- With the support of the Ministry of Transport of Russia, it is relevant to introduce a project of design of railway transport systems employing maglev technologies to be included in the long-term programme “National Technology Initiative”.
- It is necessary to underline the importance of scientific groundwork of railway educational institutions (PGUPS, MIIT, RGUPS) in the field of Russia’s railway net development with the use of maglev technologies. It is also necessary to consolidate their competence within a working group, which should resume work within the programme “Magnetic Levitation Transport”.
- It is vital to support the initiative of the representatives of the Cluster “Russian Maglev” of establishment of a testing area “Russian Maglev” connected to JSC “RZD” facilities in Petersburg transport hub.
- It is necessary to approve the establishment of the Museum of Technology and provide an area for demonstrating magnetic levitation effect.
- It is relevant to establish testing and commercial areas based on maglev technology.
- It is important to recommend members of Joint Scientific Council of JSC “RZD” and other interested officials and representatives to participate in preparation of 24th International Conference “Maglev 2018” in PGUPS.